The importance of truck clutch
The clutch is composed of four parts: the active part, the driven part, the pressing mechanism, and the operating mechanism. The main function of the truck clutch is to gradually engage the engine and the transmission, so as to ensure a smooth start of the truck. As the truck moves from a standstill to driving, its speed should gradually increase from zero.
If there is no clutch between the transmission system and the engine, but a rigid connection, when the truck starts, the driver will engage the transmission of the transmission system into a certain working gear, and the stationary truck will rush forward violently when suddenly connected to the power, generating a large inertial force, resulting in the engine stalling.
The clutch can also temporarily cut off the connection between the engine and the transmission system, facilitating the start of the engine and smooth gear shifting of the gearbox. When the engine is cold started, let the clutch cut off the connection between the engine and the transmission system, which can remove part of the resistance, which is conducive to increasing the starting speed and improving the starting success rate.
The replacement of the truck clutch
Under normal circumstances, the replacement cycle of the truck clutch is about 50,000-60,000 kilometers, but it depends on the driver’s driving habits, if the driver usually does not pay attention to the force when stepping on the clutch, or does not maintain the clutch, the service life of the clutch will be shortened. If well maintained, the clutch needs to be replaced only after the truck travels about 100,000 kilometers.
Signals of failing clutch
1. Soft or Spongy Clutch Pedal
One of the first signals you may notice is that your clutch feels soft or spongy when you press down on it. Clutch are usually quite heavy and usually require some force to press the clutch pedal, especially on older models or higher-performance trucks. If your clutch pedal becomes very soft than usual when pressed, it may mean that there is a problem with the pressure pads of your clutch and you may need to check the clutch assembly.
2. Trouble Shifting
Difficulty in shifting gears is also an important signal of clutch failure. In the process of truck driving, if you want to change gears, you need to press the clutch in advance, if the clutch plate is too damaged, the power separation cannot be carried out normally, if the power separation is incomplete, pressing the clutch pedal will not help, and the operation of shifting gears or entering a new gear may not be realized.
3. Burning Smell
A burning smell is also a signal when the truck clutch fails. The clutch on the truck is in a tight state during normal driving, if stepping on the clutch for a long time means that the clutch is always engaged, disengaged or semi-slippery, it will accelerate the wear of the clutch friction plate and pressure plate, and wear to a certain extent can easily cause the clutch plate to ablation, resulting in a burning smell.
When you press the clutch, if there is harsh noise, then you need to pay attention to the clutch problem. Because of the large number of transmission components on the clutch, the causes of noise are also very complex, including uneven clutch pressure plate, clutch component damage, clutch steel sheet breakage, clutch pressure plate spring break or release bearing loosening, clutch release rod breakage, clutch damping spring failure, etc. Therefore, if there is noise after stepping on the clutch, you should go to a professional repair shop as soon as possible to repair it to avoid causing greater problems.
5. Sticky or Stuck Pedals
When you find that the pedal is stuck, first you can check whether there is a foreign object stuck under the clutch pedal. If there is no foreign object, you should consider whether the clutch fails, because sometimes the control structure of the clutch pedal is too worn, which will cause the stuck phenomenon. And at the same time, also check whether the clutch cable is broken, causing the clutch to stuck.
Ways to use the clutch longer
- Do not step on the clutch for a long time. When stepping on the clutch, the release bearing will rotate at high speed, and the release bearing has no additional lubrication, and can only rely on its internal grease lubrication, once the release bearing wear is excessive, it will plague the pressure plate, and soon there will be starting trembling, stepping on the clutch abnormal sound, until the final clutch failure.
- The clutch is mainly used to change gears and start to stop, you should be timely and decisive when changing gears, do not hesitate. When you want to release the clutch in low gears, you should be fast first and then slow, otherwise, it will have a great impact on the clutch and is not conducive to clutch life. At the same time, we should also pay attention, not to semi-linkage, which not only does not have the connection power but also wears a lot on the clutch.
- Every time the truck works, it is necessary to fill the clutch front bearing and the release bearing with butter (some are immersed in oil during disassembly), when filling with butter, do not fill too much, and the amount of oil should be moderate, so as not to enter the friction plate too much, causing the clutch to slip. In use, it is found that the friction plates adhere to oil stains, which will make the clutch slip and should be cleaned. At the same time, according to the requirements of technical maintenance regulations, regularly check and adjust the clutch clearance, once the clutch slippage, incomplete separation and other faults, should be eliminated in time, not allowed to “sick” operation.
- Check the height of the clutch fluid (brake fluid) surface in the clutch reservoir (usually shared with the brake fluid reservoir). If it is below the “MIN” mark, it should be supplemented, and the clutch hydraulic control mechanism should be further checked for leaks. If clutch fluid splashes on the paint surface, immediately rinse with water; Otherwise, the clutch fluid will damage the painted surface.